[vsni.co.uk] Contact us

ASReml  ~  Modifying the residual in ASREML R-4 for multivariate models

tshalev
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

I am trying to modify the residual in ASREML R version 4 when using a multivariate model, with little success. There aren’t very many examples for multivariate models in the manual, and as far as I can tell, only the use of residual = ~id(units):us(trait) works. I am trying to include a site effect in the residual to partition the residual by site and trait, something which seemed to work in version 3. Site is encoded as a factor and I have tried either residual = ~site:id(units):us(trait), residual = ~diag(site):id(units):us(trait) and residual = ~idh(site):id(units):us(trait), all of which cause the R session to abort (crashes). I have also tried residual = ~ dsum(~ id(units):us(trait) | site), which gives the error: Error in Rparam(data): Section has 520 observations but the residual model implies 1560.

Is it possible to do this operation, or has this option been removed in version 4?

Thanks!
BrettLBurdo
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Hello,
I was struggling with this exact problem and I found a workable solution.
The multisection residual model requires the multivariate data to be represented in stacked univariate format, with traits sorted within entries. This is addressed in the ASreml 4 standalone manual, but is not addressed in the ASreml-R 4 manual. Once you've converted your data to stacked univariate, the fixed statement will be the value column~trait column, and you'll need to include an asmv statement identifying the trait column.

asreml(fixed=value~phen,
random=~....,
data=data,
asmv=phen,
residual=~ dsum(~ id(units):us(phen) | site))

Cheers,
Brett
yzhlinscau
Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
with the newest ASreml-R V4.1, residual=~dsum(~units:diag(trait)|env) could work.